FIFA will consult national football associations to discuss biennial World Cup plans.© AFP
FIFA has invited the domestic governing bodies of football to an online summit on 30 September to discuss its controversial proposal to World Cup every two years instead of four. The topic will be discussed with FIFA’s member associations as part of plans to reform the international calendar. “There is a broad consensus in the game that the international match calendar needs to be reformed and improved,” FIFA said in a statement on Monday.
‘After invitations to stakeholders, including all confederations, beginning in September, discussions will be arranged in the coming weeks.
“FIFA also invited its member associations to a first online summit on 30 September 2021. This is one of several opportunities for a constructive and open debate at global and regional level over the coming months.”
The proposal for a biennial World Cup was revived in March by the former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, now head of global football development at FIFA.
The idea is to have an international tournament every year from 2025-2026, alternating World Cups and continental tournaments such as the European Championships and Copa America.
UEFA President Alexander Ceferin strongly opposes the proposal and threatens European countries to boycott a biennial World Cup.
The South American confederation CONMEBOL said the project had ‘no sporting justification’.
FIFA President Gianni Infantino has promised that decisions to hold a World Cup every two years will be made by the end of the year.
FIFA last week published an online poll claiming that a majority of football fans support the idea of a ‘more regular’ World Cup.
The results of the survey come in stark contrast to the opposition of numerous national supporter groups worldwide.
Topics mentioned in this article